Monday, February 7, 2011

My New Best Friends and Where Am I Running To!?

     So above are my new best friends. My new Asics running shoes, which are totally awesome....I could die!!!!!! My blue multi-touch iPod Nano and my new Nike + sensor. Now on my facebook, people have been asking me about my sensor. The cost is about 30 bucks at any Sportchek. I then purchased the nice holder for the sensor called Runaway, for 10 bucks. If you have an iPod touch or an iPhone, you can download Nike + Gps from the app store and it will do what the sensor does.
    
     So how exactly does the sensor work? I don't really know the ins and outs, but what I do know is I will plug in the adaptor into my iPod, then i activate the sensor attached to my shoe. I can then choose workouts based on time, calories burned, and distances. That is not all this does. After said workout, you plug your iPod into your computer and iTunes will autosync to http://www.nikerunning.com/ you set up your free account with nike and you can track all your workouts, set goals, participate in challenges and above all see how you are doing at running. To me, this is a great tool and very cheap.  The iPod can tell you your current distance ran, time remaining as well as current pace. I am told you can buy a heart monitor too, but to be honest, I just want my heart to keep beating and not explode. If you are a veteran runner, or a novice runner, this is easily money well spent.

So where am I actually running to? I thought about this the other day. I am currently training for a 10k race that happens the same weekend as the Calgary Marathon. My goal as you may recall is to run a marathon before 40...I am currently 35, 5 years is a nice goal! Anyways, I am running in a 10k race and I have been thinking, am I really running to do the race. The short answer is yes, the long answer is no. I am running for a goal that other people can't see, but I can. I am running to a better me, a healthier me. I used to look at running like I looked at hiking. Who the hell does this for fun I mean really who!? I now realize that not everyone is running to be a Simon Whitfield or a .....ok he is the only runner I know and he runs triathalons. I am running to be the best physically I can be. Eventhough I will probably never get close to a 4 minute mile, I would like to run as fast as I possibly can, and lose weight as I do it. So, with my newish shoes, my iPod and my Nike +, I will set out on the goal of running the biggest run of my life, the run to health. I hope you join me in my journey, and though I may fall down doing this, my support system is behind me and they will help me pick myself back up again. My Nike+ name is Bailrs, so if there is a way to add me as a friend, and you actually WANT to, hit me up, I would love to get more people in my support network.

     If you are overweight and having a bit of a struggle with getting started, remember I have been there, I am still working at it, you can email me anytime at rbailey(at)telus.net. I will reply as best I can if you want to know what I have done to lose weight or how I just Forrest Gumped my way into this. ("I just felt like running") I will reply to you. All my weight loss has been through hard work, determination, support and positive thinking.

Ryan

No comments:

Post a Comment